Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Waz up Wednesday?- Garden

Waz up Wednesday's is when I talk about a project I've been working on recently. It may still be a project I'm currently working on or one I have recently finished.


source

 I grew up in a family that always had a garden, a pretty large one most years.

I learned a lot about gardening and have lots of great memories of working in the yard as a family.

Me at about age 3 with our 40lb squash
I realized lately that I didn't learn as much as I thought I did. Or maybe it just didn't stick in this head of mine.

Thank goodness for the internet and Pinterest.

Now that we have a yard and are not trying to grow plants out of planter boxes. I'm realizing how much work and how much cost a garden really takes.


I'm sure some can do it a lot cheaper then we are doing. We decided to do the square foot garden thing. or our own version of it anyway.

I liked the look of raised box gardens with the gravel paths around them.

My dream Garden.
source


We also needed a way to keep the kids and dog from digging in it. so we have put a fence up around the whole thing.

I think the white picket fence is going to have to wait.

Our puppy(?), Neville, loves to chew on EVERYTHING and bury things.


We gave him a stuffed penguin for Christmas.


The next day it was nowhere in site. We thought we saw stuffing and blue fabric as the remains until this week...

as we were tilling up the dirt we had a few surprises pop out of the ground (besides the ass-fault that was just covered up by top soil)  several dog chew bones, ripped up dog blanket, and the penguin, still in one piece.

the previous owners had put in curbing all around the out side. We really liked it...at first.

 When we started writing down what we wanted in the yard and trying to figure out where to put it all. The curbing had to go...or at least move.

SO we have fenced in the area (okay maybe the post are only up) where we wanted the garden to be. We've been moving some of the curbing a few feet, digging up grass, moving dirt around to make a flat area, and praying we would not dig up or need to move any sprinklers (we don't, at least not this year.) 



We moved some of the grass we dug up to the side of our patio where we were thinking of putting cement until we looked into the cost. The sprinklers do not cover that area, so we will have to use a hose with sprinkler head. It is only temporary until we can get some cement in there.


1 comment:

Stueller said...

oh you'll have to share what you learn, our first garden was last year... half of the garden made it, half didn't. I realize I have alot to learn!