Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Waz up Wednesday? - Lego Floor Bags!

Waz up Wednesday's is when I talk about a project I've been working on recently. It may still be a project I'm currently working on or one I have recently finished.

My boys got Legos and Duplo blocks for Christmas this year.

What a pain in the butt to clean up!

not to mention all the times the vacuum go over them.

Dear Santa,
It was so great seeing my boy's faces when they opened the Legos you brought them, but now my vacuum is unhappy. So for Christmas this year I'm asking for a new vacuum! 
Thanks, A Mom 
P.S. after all it's your fault!

My boys hate cleaning them up also.

I'm sure you have seen these around and I even saw some for sale for about $64 (Eeek!)


I've also seen some cute ideas of putting each lego color in it's own bin.

Maybe my kids are not normal, but all I thought of when I saw that was..."Those bins will just be dumped out and mixed together in a matter of seconds."

Talk about a bigger pain when it comes to cleaning up!

I like the floor bag idea, yes some of the legos do manage to wonder off the bag, but over all they are SOOO much easier to clean up!

No more using a dust pan to scoop them up over here (yes, it's true, bigger surface area then my hands meant faster clean up! don't judge!)

I used 6 (3 of each color) yards of fabric. some cotton rope and eyelets.


The rectangle one I don't like as much. it does give a larger area to play, but not as easy to pull together.

The round one is AWESOME!


(I apologize now for not taking photos of the process, I hope words will be enough)

So I took the three yards of fabric and folded it in half and cut down the fold.

Then sewed them back together side by side. (I hope this makes sense)

Cut it into a perfect square. ( I am planning on using the extra fabric to make other bags or pillow cases for their rooms)

then take some butcher paper, string, and a pencil. Divide the squares length in half and cut the string to that length.

Tie the string to the pencil. holding one end of the string, draw with the pencil, at full length, a quarter circle on the paper. cut along the pencil line.

Fold the fabric square in quarters and pinned the paper to it (make sure the rounded edge is away from the folder parts of the fabric). Then cut along the rounded part of the circle.

Unfold the fabric and you have a circle my friends!

Do the same for the fabric you want to use for the inside.

On the outside fabric, find a spot along the edge (about an inch or 2 in) to put your eyelets (make sure they are big enough for your rope to go through.) Put two about and inch or two apart from each other.

Okay now you can sew the two parts together, make sure you leave several inches to flip it right side out again and then sew that part together.

Now you will want to sew another line about 3-4 inches in from the side, all the way around. making sure that the eyelets are in between the edge and the new line.



weave the rope through the eyelets and around the edge of the bag, making sure there is enough to allow the bag to lay flat. tie a knot and you are done!

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so creative!! Sometimes I get overwhelmed cleaning up toys day after day. Way to find a solution! :)