Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Food Friday! - Multigrain Pancakes

On St. Patrick's day I wanted the kids to have a fun holiday.

Growing up we would dress in green and have food colored green.

I've tried this in the past and my kids would not eat "green food". honestly it doesn't look too good to me either!


I decided to go with normal food, food I knew they would eat.


I told them the pancake was a large gold coin at the bottom of the rainbow.

I made a green smoothie using extra fruit I didn't put on the plate, an avocado, spinach and some milk.

Now for the multi grain pancake recipe. I revised this from a recipe I got from my sister-in-law.

Multi-grain pancakes

1 C oat flour (grind oats in food processor)
1 C whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 C ground flaxseed
2 tsp. baking soda
1tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbl. chopped nuts (optional. you can choose one or many different kind)

mix above ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside.

about 1C or 1/2 pint of buttermilk
1 C milk
1/4 C oil (I use apple sauce as replacement sometimes, if you do make sure you watch them closely so they don't burn)
2 eggs
1/4 C sugar (you could use honey or agave nectar as well)

mix wet ingredients with an immersion blender or electric mixer. you want it to get slightly fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and mix by hand until just combined. Cook on skillet just as you would other pancakes.

Other recipes I've tried and liked:

best pizza crust recipe!

cashew no chicken

Wild-rice stuffed squash

No comments: